I love hard-working recipes – especially ones that can work as breakfast, dessert or a snack! And these blueberry banana bread bars are perfect for all three.
I have a particular soft spot for these since it’s one of the first recipes I tried (thanks to the inspiration of Angela’s muffin tops recipe at Oh She Glows) that didn’t require any added sugar. And didn’t end up a yucky gummy mess which can happen when you remove the dairy and the added sugar.
Not only do these offer a delicious way to use overripe bananas, but they are easy to make and can be made gluten free by using certified gluten free oats. Since they’re crowd pleasers, I’ve often brought them to potlucks and brunches.
A versatile recipe that can be eaten as breakfast, dessert or a snack and is crowd-pleaser. Free of added sugar and can be made gluten free with the use of gluten-free oats.
- 2 large bananas
- 1/2 c. date paste
- 1/4 c. coconut oil
- 2 c. rolled oats gluten free if needed
- 1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Add bananas, date paste and coconut oil to a food processor and blend well.
- Add the oats, coconut, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder and blend well.
- Press mixture into a greased 8×8 glass baking dish, then top with blueberries, gently pressing the berries into the batter.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and the middle is firm, but yields slightly to the touch.
- Cool then cut.
If doubling the recipe, you will probably need to break up the steps further. Here’s what I do: First, coarsely blend all the oats and set aside in a large bowl. Then blend other ingredients per instructions above (without the oats). Next, stir the blended ingredients together with the oats in a large bowl. Continue with steps 4-6. I think this recipe works best with ripe to slightly overripe bananas. * If you can't find date paste, you can make your own by soaking 3/4 cup of Medjool dates in warm water for 1-2 hours and then blending until smooth. In this case, it's best to buy Medjool dates with the pits still in them and simply remove the pits just before using.
(contains affiliate links which help fund this blog at no cost to you 🙂 )
- Click here for my favorite food processor
- Date paste: I usually buy mine at a local Mediterranean/middle eastern store. If you don’t have one near by, you can make your own using Medjool dates (see Recipe Notes) Happily, Aldi has been carrying Medjool dates lately, but you can also find them here.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut: If you have a Whole Foods or natural foods store near by, check the bulk section! Or get it here.
Life is busy.
Let me take care of this for you for a week!
Meal planning + healthy eating. Two things we know we "should" do, right? But when life is crazy, it's easy to let these two areas slide... Or maybe it's not your superpower, but it's been hard to ignore that tiny voice inside you telling you it's what you need... Or maybe you're just bored with the same old meals and need a fresh infusion of recipe inspiration but don't have time to figure it out (believe me, we all go through that!)
I've got you covered, girl!
Here's a FREE seven-day plant-based (vegan) meal plan waiting to be whisked to your inbox when you become a VIP reader of Wildberry Press. That's one entire week of all meals (snack too!) done! It's my free gift to you and an example of the exclusive content I give ONLY to my VIP readers.
PLUS it guarantees you'll continue to get fresh recipe inspiration delivered right to your virtual doorstep.
So what exactly is included in this seven day meal plan?
- Some of my tastiest & easiest recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner + snacks.
- A suggested meal plan
- Meal prep tips
- A record + reflect sheet so you can track before & after results if you're looking to boost your energy and improve your health
Sign up now for access to the *dairy free* creme de la creme of Wildberry Press content delivered right to your inbox and get your FREE seven day meal plan as a thank you gift.